SANCTUARY, the new artist development residency scheme at Lighthouse, has been incredibly well received and three companies have already been able to take up the offer of using creative space at the venue in order to devise, develop and progress new work.
Over the past year, and in the face of the pandemic, Lighthouse has supported artists where possible, to maintain their creative practice despite limited opportunities for audiences to be welcomed into the building. From May to September 2021, with support from the Weston Culture Fund,this programme is being extended and the Sherling Studio is being turned into a creation space.
Stuff & Nonsense, SISATA (pictured) and Angel Exit all report how crucial their time at Lighthouse has been and of course look forward to presenting work at Lighthouse - and beyond - in the coming months.
Several applications were received for the first wave of SANCTUARY slots in May and June and residencies still to come are:
- Louise Jordan, who will be working on her one-woman show about Florence Nightingale that fuses storytelling with music.
- Danielle Cooper, who is working on a one-women stand up theatre show called Sobering Thoughts On Addiction (A Comedy).
- Dr Brad Gyori, a Principal Academic in Digital Storytelling at Bournemouth University, who will be working on his project Mr Illusion.
- The Last Inklings, a folk group who want to experiment with new technology and techniques ahead of their album launch in the autumn.
- Gemma Alldred, who is working on a new solo show having workshopped with award-winning performance artist Bryony Kimmings.
- Gandini Juggling, the brilliant circus company are working up a new show called Smashed 2 and are talking to us about the best space for them to use.
- The Lockett-Vettese Band, returning with additional artists after the success of last year’s residency and live recording in the Theatre.
Applications for slots throughout July and August remain open until the end of this month.
More information and application forms can be found at https://www.lighthousepoole.co.uk/creative-engagement/new-voices/sanctuary/