This week we helped officially launch Light Up Poole - a new 3-day digital light art festival set to illuminate the town centre from 15-17 February.
Sponsored by Poole BID and funded by Arts Council England, the festival presents a series of opportunities to see Poole as it has never be seen before as the town centre after dark becomes the backdrop for dramatic light art and digital installations. The area from Falkland Square to the Quay will be transformed into an immersive wonderland that can be enjoyed by all ages.
Some of things we are looking forward to most include:
- FLO - Bournemouth-based company Rogue Games launch their new mobile game at the festival. Visitors to Poole will be able to play and test their skill as the game is projected onto the exterior wall of Lighthouse
- Submergence – An immersive, responsive, walk-through experience in Falkland Square created by Squidsoup
- The Squirrel – a digital art installation on the Quay by Sober Industries to highlight the extinction plight of Brownsea Island’s famous resident colony of red squirrels.
- Arbour – a colourful and immersive installation under the avenue of trees in Orchard Plaza by multi-media artist Mark Parry
- Seeglass (High Street) an animated light sculpture by artist Stuart Langley which uses hundreds of pieces of age-old sea glass and Planets (Kingland Crescent) - gaze into an imagined cosmos of four planets created from sea glass & hand crafted neon
- Poets and filmmakers are being invited to enter a Film Poetry competition with £500 for the winning title and the shortlisted films projected on the wall of Poole Museum.
- Dancing With Myself - join us on the High Street for an open-air silent disco. Light Up Poole provide the headphones - you bring the moves!.
- Sounds of Poole - enjoy this ethereal musical soundscape in teh Fish Shambles, which has been created digitally from sounds captured by local school children with artist Jon Adams and Soundstorm
Light Up Poole is also the first in a number of headline events planned for 2018 to celebrate the 40th birthday of Lighthouse. We can't wait to get involved!
Light Up Poole is presented by Audacious with the support of lead partner and sponsor Poole BID and Arts Council England and in partnership with Lighthouse and Bournemouth University, as well as Borough of Poole, SoundStorm music education agency and ArtfulScribe, which finds, develops and promotes new and emerging writers and audiences for live literature.